Cinnamon is a fragrant spice
Cinnamon has been known from antiquity. Aromatic bark of an evergreen tree of Ceylon cinnamon tree (Cinnamomum verum) was known in Ancient Egypt and in China for two thousand years before our era. In the Egyptian manuscript found mention of how far the country had sent several ships, who returned several months later with a cargo of ivory, gold and cinnamon. For the price, at the time, cinnamon was comparable to gold. Preserved information that in Ancient Greece, 35 kg of cinnamon was estimated at 5 kg of gold, and in some countries the price has increased to 1 kg of gold per 1 kg of cinnamon. In those days the spice sometimes paid wages and taxes. Fragrant
spice was considered exquisite gift, and the dishes are flavored with cinnamon, graced the tables with only rich people.
In the middle ages, the Western world was completely unaware of what plants and how to get such a fragrant spice. The origin of cinnamon legends and tales. Arab merchants, stuffing the price of the product, told me that they kidnap cinnamon in strange birds and fighting over it with sea monsters. They brought cinnamon on overland trade routes to Alexandria in Egypt. There it was bought by Venetian merchants who had a monopoly on the spice trade in Europe. Stop this trade was one of many factors that drove the Europeans to actively look for a sea route to Asia.
Only in the late fifteenth century, Portuguese merchants opened the Ceylon (Sri Lanka), the Europeans learned the secret of the production of cinnamon. The Portuguese in 1518 he founded a fortress on the island and fiercely defended their monopoly on the production of valuable spices over a hundred years.
Then the production of cinnamon took possession of the Dutch, then the British. But in the nineteenth century the importance of the Ceylon monopoly was not so great. Cinnamon trees grow in other places, the price has become more acceptable to buyers. Today cinnamon is used all over the world.
Cinnamon comes in two types: rods and powder. Sticks are kept longer and more fragrant powder. Check the freshness of cinnamon for flavor. If the flavor is pronounced, so fresh cinnamon. The most difficult task for a buyer when choosing cinnamon – to distinguish her from her Cassia. Cassia – bark of another tree, her scent sharper and not so noble. It is also called as Indonesian or false cinnamon. This spice is less expensive therefore, buying ground cinnamon in bulk, you might make a mistake.
Bona fide companies indicate on the packaging what it hides: Cassia or cinnamon. If there are no such instructions, You should be alerted low price. Can navigate and appearance.
Sticks true cinnamon more
brittle, thin and flavorful.
They are lighter, easily crushed,
and Cassia usually remain fiber.
If the drop of iodine on a stick,
this cinnamon will give quite
imperceptible reaction, while
Cassia will become a bright
Navy blue color.
The composition includes cinnamon essential oil, cinnamic aldehyde, starch, resin, mucus, tannins, so besides using cinnamon in cooking, it is used for medicinal purposes.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF CINNAMON
* In recent years, the medicinal properties of cinnamon have been studied intensively. It was found that it tends to improve the functioning of the brain, to restore the process of hematopoiesis. Cinnamon is used as a stimulating digestion, tonic and antiseptic.
* Scientists have found that regular use of cinnamon restored the normal response of the body to insulin. This means that the use of cinnamon in diabetics decreases the level of blood sugar.
* Aromatic spice can help and those who can’t lose weight because of an insatiable craving for sweets. The best option is to add cinnamon to cereal, coffee, juice, kefir, yogurt, or cottage cheese.
* For weight loss also used this recipe. In the evening, boil 1.5 cups of water. Pour boiling water over 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and cover for insisting on 30 minutes. When the mixture has cooled to 37 to 40°C, add 1 teaspoon of honey. Drink 1/2 of the mixture before bedtime. The other half, cover and refrigerate. In the morning drink the other half, not warming up, you can bring an infusion only to room temperature. After 15-20 minutes you can have Breakfast.
* For colds will help tea with ginger and cinnamon. Take 1 teaspoon of green tea, fresh ginger root 3-4 cm in size, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 clove Bud, lemon wedge, 4 teaspoons of honey added. Brew green tea 0.5 liters of boiling water, steep 5 minutes, strain. Tea pour into a saucepan, add the finely chopped ginger root, cinnamon, cloves. Bring to a boil. On low heat cook for another 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, in hot tea, add lemon. Steep the tea for 15 minutes, then strain the tea through a strainer, add honey. SIP warm or hot during the day.
* With loss of strength and decreased immunity eat daily for Breakfast bread, spread with honey with a pinch of cinnamon.
* If low blood pressure drink morning coffee with the addition of 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cinnamon enhances the toning effect of caffeine.
* Diseases of the joints every morning and evening, take 1 Cup of warm water with 2 teaspoons of honey and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
* When you breath in the morning gargle and mouth with Cup warm water with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
* Dysbacteriosis cut a small strip of orange peel in the shape of a spiral. A cinnamon stick pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and preheat for 10 minutes on low heat. Turn off the heat and add the hot water zest. 3 minutes to infuse, strain. Take 1/2 Cup 4 times a day before meals.
* The smell of cinnamon relieves feelings of fear and loneliness. According to the observations of psychologists, it fills a person with a sense of confidence and security, improves mood, sets the creative way!
From constant use of cinnamon is to refuse pregnant women.
This seasoning tend to contribute to increased contraction of the uterus.
Some people use cinnamon can cause
the appearance of skin rashes and other allergic reactions.
Store cinnamon in a dark dry cool place in a glass container. When stored in this way, the cinnamon powder stays fresh for 6 months, and sticks one year.
Cinnamon — one of the most popular condiments in cooking. It differs from other spices for its pleasant, sweet taste and sustainable. The preparation of many modern confectionery is hard to imagine without this seasoning. But today, cinnamon is increasingly used for making not only sweet but also first and second courses. Cinnamon added to dairy soups, muffins, cereal, jellied fish, lamb dishes, used in the preparation of cold appetizers, poultry, meat, vegetables, beans, put in soups, it is flavored rice. It is added in pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, melons, pickled cranberries and cranberry. Cinnamon is widely used in the preparation of fruit and vegetable salads.
Since cinnamon is peculiar to disinfect food products from Escherichia coli, in tropical countries its long hours put into all the dishes, which tend to deteriorate quickly. To maintain the tone of cinnamon is added to various beverages: tea, coffee, milk.
350 grams milk: 150 grams of cream 20% fat; 1 stick (or 1 teaspoon) of cinnamon; 100 grams of dark chocolate.
Method of preparation :
1.Mix the milk with the cream in a saucepan with non-stick coating, bring to a boil. Add pounded in a mortar cinnamon, allow to stand for 5 minutes, strain.
2.Mix with grated chocolate, heat until the chocolate dissolves.
This drink will keep You warm in inclement weather, will give you vitality and will provide a good mood!